High&Low: The Movie (2016) — I Know These Idiots Now, and Apparently That’s Dangerous

Confessions of a Drama Addict
0

 🎬 Subtitles and Bad Decisions Presents:

🫰 Because I have feelings, subtitles, and no self-control.


 High&Low: The Movie (2016)

🌙 Watch Log

Started: “Alright, so I finished the Story of S.W.O.R.D. and now we're onto the movies. Surely these will be a little detour from the series, right?”

Finished: “Oh. Nope. We're just continuing the chaos. Excellent.”

🇯🇵 Japan • 2016

🎬 Feature Film • 2 hr. 10 min.

📺 Available on: Bilibili


✨ Why I Picked This Up

After finishing both seasons of High&Low: The Story of S.W.O.R.D., I naturally moved on to the movies because, at this point, I was already completely invested in this wonderfully ridiculous universe.

And honestly, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the movies don't really feel like a detour from the series at all. They just continue everything right along, picking up the story and letting all the factions keep doing what they do best: fighting, making questionable decisions, protecting their people, and generally creating an enormous amount of chaos.

So yes, I hit play.

Because apparently I have chosen this life.


🎭 The Premise (Spoiler-Free)

The five S.W.O.R.D. factions are once again pulled into conflict, but this time there is a much larger threat looming over all of them.

Each faction has its own reasons for entering the fight, but the growing threat from the Kuryu Group puts them in a position where they have a common enemy.

And when you've got five rival factions who normally spend their time fighting each other suddenly realizing that they might have a bigger problem to deal with?

Well.

Temporary alliance.

Because apparently if there's one thing that can make five gangs put their differences aside, it's finding somebody even worse to punch.

The result is exactly what you would expect from High&Low: hectic, chaotic, stylish, loud, ridiculously entertaining, and filled with enough fighting to make you wonder if anyone in this town has ever considered mediation.


👥 The People Responsible for My Emotional Stability

💫 Hino Junpei / Cobra (Iwata Takanori)

Cobra remains one of the central figures of Sanno Rengokai and continues to be right in the middle of everything happening. At this point, I've watched enough High&Low to know that if Cobra is involved, things are probably about to get messy.

💫 Miura Tatsuomi / Kohaku (Akira)

Kohaku continues to be one of the major figures connected to the history of Mugen and the larger conflict surrounding the factions. His presence gives the movie that connection to everything we've already watched.

💫 Asahina Yamato (Suzuki Nobuyuki)

Yamato is still right there beside Cobra, because apparently loyalty means following your friends directly into whatever giant gang war they've gotten themselves involved in this week.

💫 Takamura Tsukumo (Aoyagi Sho)

Tsukumo remains an important part of the Mugen history and the larger story surrounding Kohaku and the people connected to him.


⚪ White Rascals

💫 Rocky (Kuroki Keiji)

Rocky is back leading the White Rascals, bringing his usual combination of style, attitude, and “we're not taking this lying down” energy.

And honestly, at this point, I would be disappointed if the White Rascals weren't serving looks while preparing for a gang war.


🏫 Oya High

💫 Murayama Yoshiki (Yamada Yuki)

Murayama.

This man is just crazy.

And somehow you absolutely love him for it.

Every time Oya High shows up, there is a very good chance Murayama is about to do something completely unhinged, and I am here for every second of it.

💫 Todoroki Yosuke (Maeda Goki)
💫 Tsuji (Suzuki Takahide)
💫 Shibaman (Ryu)
💫 Furuya Hideto (Suzuki Takayuki)
💫 Seki Kotaro (Ichinose Wataru)
💫 Nakabayashi (Kiyohara Sho)
💫 Nakakuki (Aoki Ken)
💫 Nakazono (Jinnai Sho)

Oya High continues to be exactly the kind of school where you just know something ridiculous is going to happen the second they appear.


🏃 The RUDE BOYS

💫 Smoky (Kubota Masataka)

Still my favorite faction.

Still love them showing up.

Still obsessed with the parkour.

That's all.

💫 Takeshi (Sano Reo)
💫 P (ZEN)
💫 Shion (Nagase Tasuku)

The RUDE BOYS continue to be one of the highlights for me, and every time they appear, I'm immediately paying attention.


🔥 Daruma Gurentai

💫 Hyuga Norihisa (Hayashi Kento)

Hyuga and Daruma Gurentai are back in the middle of the mess, because apparently revenge is a lifestyle.

💫 Ukyo (Endo Kaname)
💫 Sakyo (Abe Ryohei)
💫 Kato Shu (Ozawa Yuta)

More Daruma chaos, because naturally.


⚡ Mighty Warriors

💫 Ice (ELLY)
💫 Ryu (Saotome Taichi)
💫 9 (Anarchy)
💫 Pearl (Nogae Shuhei)
💫 Bernie (Shirahama Alan)
💫 Sarah (Kana Oya)

The Mighty Warriors continue to bring their own particular brand of style and danger into the growing conflict, and after seeing them introduced in the series, I was very happy to see them continue into the movie.


🐍 The Kuryu Group & Other Chaos

And then we have the Kuryu Group, who are basically responsible for everyone suddenly deciding that maybe they should all work together for once.

Because nothing says temporary peace like having a common enemy.

There are also the various members of the Iemura Group, Doubt, and all the other people connected to the growing conflict, because apparently High&Low has decided that one enormous cast simply isn't enough.


📝 Review

(WARNING: Potential Spoilers — I’m Not Saving You from Any Emotional Damage)

Alright, so I finished the Story of S.W.O.R.D. and now I'm onto the movies, and one thing that surprised me was how little of a detour this actually feels like.

It doesn't.

It just continues everything right along.

And honestly, I really like that.

The factions all have their own reasons for getting involved in the fight, but more or less, each one is threatened by the Kuryu Group in one way or another. And that threat basically forces these factions, who normally spend their time fighting each other, into forming a temporary alliance.

Which is kind of hilarious when you think about it.

These people have spent all this time fighting over territory, pride, revenge, and whatever else has them throwing punches at each other, and now they're basically like, “Okay, but THAT guy is a problem.”

Fine.

We'll work together.

For now.

And of course, things continue exactly as hectic and chaotic as you'd expect from High&Low. There are fights everywhere, people are getting pulled into conflicts they probably didn't ask for, alliances are forming and breaking, and somehow there are still more people waiting in the wings to make everything even more complicated.

At this point, I've accepted that this is simply how this universe functions.

And I'm good with it.

The soundtrack is once again killer.

Seriously, this franchise has not missed when it comes to the music. The soundtrack helps drive the energy of the movie, especially during the action sequences, and I've reached the point where I hear certain songs and immediately know we're about to get something good.

And, obviously, I always love when the RUDE BOYS show up.

They remain my favorite faction, and I'm still here for every single second of their parkour. Give me those guys flying through the streets and I'm happy.

Then there's Oya High.

And specifically Murayama.

That man is just crazy.

But you just love him for it.

There's something about watching him throw himself into the chaos with absolutely no hesitation that makes him ridiculously entertaining. Oya High already had a strong presence in the series, but Murayama continues to be one of those characters where I'm watching and thinking, What the hell are you doing?

And then five seconds later:

Okay, that was awesome.

The biggest thing I appreciate about the movie is that it doesn't feel like I'm watching something separate from the series. It's part of the same ongoing story, with the same factions, the same characters, the same grudges, and the same general level of insanity.

Which means if you've already watched the two seasons, this feels like the natural next step.

And that's exactly how I watched it.

I didn't have to reset my brain and learn an entirely new story. I just hit play and went, “Okay, what kind of chaos are we getting today?”

Apparently, the answer was:

ALL OF IT.


📊 Damage Report

🎭 Story: 10/10 — It continues the story rather than detouring from it, brings the factions together against a common threat, and keeps the momentum going.

💫 Acting & Cast: 10/10 — The enormous returning cast continues to make this world work, and seeing everyone come together is half the fun.

🎧 Music: 10/10 — Killer. Once again, the soundtrack is absolutely one of the stars of the show.

🔁 Rewatch Value: 10/10 — Absolutely. The action, the factions, the soundtrack, the RUDE BOYS, and Murayama being completely insane? Yes.

🏆 Overall: 10/10 — Another ridiculously entertaining entry into the High&Low universe, and exactly what I wanted after finishing the series.


💭 Final Mood

The first High&Low movie doesn't feel like a side trip. It feels like I simply finished Season 2 and clicked “next episode,” except suddenly the episode is two hours long and apparently everyone has decided to start a giant gang war.

Which, honestly, is fine by me.

The soundtrack is still killer, the fights are still fantastic, the RUDE BOYS are still my favorites, and Murayama continues to be completely unhinged in the most entertaining way possible.

At this point, I'm officially committed to this franchise.

I've got factions memorized, I know who's fighting who, I'm recognizing characters from earlier appearances, and I'm somehow sitting here excited every time another group walks onto the screen.

This is what happens when you click on one random recommendation after finishing Weak Hero.

Would I rewatch it?

Absolutely.

In the end, I finished feeling like the High&Low madhouse had simply moved from television onto the big screen.

And somehow… it worked.




Post a Comment

0 Comments
Post a Comment (0)
To Top