rows Zero (2007) Review | Good Delinquent Chaos, But I’ll Keep My High&Low Obsession

Confessions of a Drama Addict
0

 🎬 Subtitles and Bad Decisions Presents:

🫰 Because I have feelings, subtitles, and no self-control.



🎬 Crows Zero (2007)

Format: Feature Film
Country: Japan
Release Date: October 27, 2007
Duration: 2 hr. 10 min.
Watched on: BiliBili


🍿 Okay, So What’s Going On Here?

Welcome to Suzuran High School, also known as the School of Crows.

And honestly, that name feels appropriate because this school is basically a giant nest of violent teenage boys who have apparently decided that education is optional, but establishing dominance is mandatory.

The biggest group at Suzuran is the Serizawa Army, led by Tamao Serizawa.

Then along comes Genji Takiya, the son of a yakuza boss, who decides he wants to become the strongest guy in the entire school.

Because apparently having a yakuza father wasn't enough pressure.

He needs to conquer a high school, too.

With the help of Ken Katagiri, a low-ranking member of the yakuza, Genji begins building his own group and slowly works his way toward the ultimate showdown with Serizawa and his crew.

So basically:

New guy arrives.

New guy wants the throne.

Old guy already has the throne.

Everyone punches everyone.

The end.

Honestly, it's a pretty straightforward business model.


📺 Where Did I Find This One?

I watched this one on BiliBili.

And if you've been following my High&Low reviews, you already know why I ended up here.

After watching High&Low: The Worst, I discovered that it had connections to Crows Zero.

Which naturally led me to the completely reasonable decision of:

“Well, now I have to watch those, too.”

Because apparently I have learned absolutely nothing about leaving well enough alone.

So here we are.


🎭 Okay, But Who Are These People?

Genji Takiya – Oguri Shun

Our main character and resident “I'm going to take over this entire school” lunatic.

Genji is the son of a yakuza boss and has one very specific goal: become the strongest person at Suzuran.

He's stubborn, determined, aggressive, and more than a little reckless.

Basically, he walks into Suzuran and immediately decides that the school hierarchy is a personal challenge.

Tamao Serizawa – Yamada Takayuki

The current big dog at Suzuran and leader of the Serizawa Army.

Serizawa has already established himself as one of the strongest students in the school, so naturally Genji deciding he wants the top spot creates a tiny little problem.

And by tiny little problem, I mean an enormous amount of violence.

Ken Katagiri – Yabe Kyosuke

A low-ranking member of the yakuza who ends up becoming an important ally to Genji.

He's one of the people helping Genji navigate this whole mess, despite the fact that Genji's plan is essentially “take over the most violent school imaginable.”

Sir.

Are you sure about this?

Tokio Tatsukawa – Kiritani Kenta

A member of the Serizawa Army and one of the people helping hold Serizawa's side together.

He's part of the larger group that makes Genji's attempt to take over Suzuran considerably more difficult.

Makise Takashi – Takahashi Tsutomu

The head of Class 3-C and another one of the major players in Suzuran's complicated hierarchy.

Because apparently this school has enough factions that you need a damn organizational chart.

Izaki Shun – Takaoka Sousuke

The head of Class 3-D and another important figure in the power struggle at Suzuran.

Once again, we have another person standing between Genji and his dream of becoming king of the school.

Rindaman – Fukami Motoki

Also known as Hayashida Megumi.

And honestly?

This man has an entire reputation built around being terrifying.

He's one of those characters where everyone else seems to know exactly what he's capable of, while you're sitting there thinking:

“Okay... so when is THIS guy going to show me what the hype is about?”

Aizawa Ruka – Kuroki Meisa

A vocalist at the live house and one of the characters who provides a little bit of balance to all the testosterone-fueled chaos happening everywhere else.

Because apparently we need at least one location where people aren't actively trying to punch each other.


⭐ The Damage Report

Story: ⭐ 7/10
Acting/Cast: ⭐ 8.5/10
Music: ⭐ 7/10
Rewatch Value: ⭐ 7/10
Overall: ⭐ 7.5/10


📝 So... How Did I Feel About This One?

⚠️ WARNING: Potential Spoilers — I’m Not Saving You from Emotional Damage

So, Crows Zero.

This is one of those movies where I can absolutely understand why people like it.

It's entertaining.

The cast is good.

There are plenty of fights.

The characters are memorable.

And the whole idea of Suzuran High being this legendary school full of violent little psychopaths is honestly pretty damn entertaining.

But after falling down the High&Low rabbit hole?

I couldn't help comparing it.

And that's where things get a little complicated.

Based on how these movies connect to the larger universe, you could probably look at Crows Zero as a predecessor of sorts to The Worst.

But honestly?

Not really.

They're connected through the world and the schools, but Crows Zero doesn't feel like part of the High&Low franchise itself.

And after watching everything I've watched in the High&Low universe so far, I'm actually glad it doesn't.

Because while I enjoyed Crows Zero, it just didn't hit me in the same way.

It was good for what it was.

But it wasn't good enough for me to think:

“YES. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PART OF HIGH&LOW.”

And that's okay.

Not everything needs to be absorbed into the cinematic universe.

Sometimes a movie can just exist over there doing its own thing.


💕 Things I Loved

The cast was definitely one of the strongest parts for me.

There's a lot of recognizable talent here, and everyone does a good job making their characters memorable.

I also liked the overall concept of Suzuran.

The entire school is basically organized around strength, reputation, and which group of idiots can beat the other group of idiots.

Which, admittedly, is not exactly revolutionary territory for me anymore.

Apparently I've watched enough Japanese delinquent dramas that this is now a legitimate genre of interest.

The rivalry between Genji and Serizawa also gives the movie a solid central conflict.

You know where this is going.

You know these two are eventually going to have to face each other.

And the movie takes its time building toward that confrontation.

The action is also good.

It's not High&Low levels of “HOW DID THAT PERSON SURVIVE THAT?” but there are definitely some solid fights.

And honestly, watching everyone fight over who gets to be king of Suzuran is entertaining enough to keep things moving.


😭 Things That Hurt My Feelings

Okay.

Let's talk about the music.

The J-rock itself wasn't bad.

I actually like J-rock.

But the way it was used here leaned much more toward the ballad side, and it just didn't always fit the aesthetic for me.

After getting used to the High&Low soundtracks, this felt noticeably different.

High&Low's music has this energy that makes the fight scenes feel even bigger.

Here, there were moments where I was sitting there thinking:

“Okay... this is a perfectly decent song.”

But also:

“Why does this feel like it belongs in an entirely different movie?”

And then there was the R&B/pop music from the live house.

Girl.

Can we not?

I am trying to watch teenage delinquents destroy each other.

Please give me something with a little more bite.


🔥 And Then There Was THIS...

Suzuran High School.

Because good lord.

This school is a whole damn ecosystem.

You've got the Serizawa Army.

You've got Genji building his own faction.

You've got individual class leaders.

You've got the Armored Front.

You've got the Ebizuka Trio.

You've got Rindaman wandering around being treated like some kind of urban legend.

And somehow everyone knows exactly who everyone else is supposed to be afraid of.

At one point, I was mentally trying to keep track of all the different groups and realized I was basically watching a high school political thriller where the primary form of diplomacy is punching somebody in the face.

And honestly?

That might be the most Crows Zero thing imaginable.


🫠 Final Mood

I liked Crows Zero.

I thought it was entertaining, the cast was good, the story was solid, and there was plenty of delinquent-school chaos to keep me occupied.

But after getting completely swallowed by High&Low, I can definitely see why I prefer that franchise.

Crows Zero is good for what it is.

It just didn't have that same spark for me.

And honestly, I'm glad it stayed its own thing rather than becoming another branch of the already enormous High&Low universe.

Because at this point, I already have enough schools, gangs, factions, characters, rivalries, and emotionally complicated men punching each other to keep track of.

I do not need another twelve tabs open in my brain.

Still, I'm glad I watched it.

Especially because now I have a better understanding of where some of those connections to The Worst come from.

And apparently, this is what happens when you casually watch one Japanese delinquent movie.

You end up researching an entire cinematic ecosystem.

Again.

Started: Curious about the movie connected to the High&Low universe.

Finished: It was good, but I'm perfectly happy keeping Crows Zero in its own corner of the delinquent-movie universe.


🏷️ The Hashtag Damage

#CrowsZero
#Crows
#SuzuranHigh
#GenjiTakiya
#SerizawaArmy
#JapaneseMovies
#JapaneseDelinquentDrama
#emotionaldamageapproved
#subtitlesandbaddecisions

Post a Comment

0 Comments
Post a Comment (0)
To Top