High&Low: The Story of S.W.O.R.D. (2015) Review | I Came for the Action and Accidentally Found an Entire Franchise

Confessions of a Drama Addict
0

 🎬 Subtitles and Bad Decisions Presents:

🫰 Because I have feelings, subtitles, and no self-control.


 High&Low: The Story of S.W.O.R.D. (2015)

🌙 Watch Log

Started: “I came into the world of High&Low thanks to finishing Weak Hero, and when High&Low: The Worst showed up in my ‘you might like’ section, I figured, why not? I was in the mood for action, so I clicked play.”

Finished: “Wait… this is an ENTIRE franchise?! Welp. Guess I know what I’m watching for the foreseeable future.”

🇯🇵 Japan • 2015

🎬 10 Episodes (Standard Series)

📺 Available on: Bilibili (I had to use a VPN)


✨ Why I Picked This Up

I came into the world of High&Low thanks to finishing Weak Hero, and High&Low: The Worst came up in the “you might like” section after I finished it. Well, curiosity got me, and I was in the kind of mood for some good action, so I clicked play.

Little did I know I had just opened the door to an entire franchise.

Because when I found out The Worst was actually a later part of an entire High&Low universe, I was sitting there like…

“Wait. WHAT?!”

So naturally, I went straight to MyDramaList, looked at the franchise, and realized I had apparently stumbled into the middle of something much bigger. Unfortunately, this series wasn't available in my area, but fortunately, it was available on Bilibili, so that solved that problem.

And that is how my full High&Low journey began.


🎭 The Premise (Spoiler-Free)

Before there was S.W.O.R.D., there was Mugen, a legendary organization that once ruled over the town. When Mugen eventually disbanded following a major conflict, the power vacuum left behind was filled by five different factions, each taking control of different parts of the area.

Those five factions became known as S.W.O.R.D.:

S — Sanno Rengokai
W — White Rascals
O — Oya High School
R — RUDE BOYS
D — Daruma Gurentai

And because apparently one giant gang controlling the city wasn't enough chaos, now five factions are fighting over territory, power, pride, and whatever else teenage and grown-ass men apparently fight over.

The story primarily centers around Sanno Rengokai, but each faction gets its own characters, style, and place in the overall story. And just when you think you've figured out who's who, another group shows up to make everything more complicated.

Welcome to High&Low.


👥 The People Responsible for My Emotional Stability

💫 Hino Junpei / Cobra (Iwata Takanori)

Cobra is one of the central figures of Sanno Rengokai and one of the people at the heart of the conflict between the different factions. He's got that quiet, intimidating presence where you can tell he doesn't need to say much because the fists are going to do the talking for him.

And yes, I was paying attention.

💫 Asahina Yamato (Suzuki Nobuyuki)

Yamato is Cobra's best friend and another major part of Sanno Rengokai. He's loyal, stubborn, and absolutely willing to throw himself into the middle of whatever mess is happening.

Which, in this universe, means he's basically employed full-time.

💫 Harada Noboru (Machida Keita)

Noboru is another important part of the Sanno group, and his relationship with Cobra and Yamato gives the story some of its emotional grounding.

Because underneath all the fighting and gang politics, there are actual friendships here, and those relationships are what keep the story from becoming nothing but one giant series of people punching each other.

💫 Dan Kazuya (Yamashita Kenjiro)

Dan is another member of Sanno Rengokai and, honestly, one of the personalities that helps make this group feel like an actual group rather than a collection of pretty men standing around looking intimidating.

Not that I would complain about that either.

💫 Kurosaki Teppei / Tettsu (Sato Kanta)

Tettsu is part of Sanno and another familiar face in the growing chaos. He's got plenty of attitude and fits right into the group's overall energy.

💫 Kataoka Chiharu (Sato Taiki)

Chiharu is another member of Sanno Rengokai, rounding out the core group as everything around them starts escalating.


⚪ The White Rascals

💫 Rocky (Kuroki Keiji)

Leader of the White Rascals, Rocky has the kind of presence you expect from someone running a group called the White Demons. Stylish, intimidating, and very much not someone you want to piss off.

💫 Koo (Endo Yuya)
💫 Bito (Kyan Yutaka)
💫 Aizawa (Kiryuin Sho)
💫 Shimura (Darvish Kenji)
💫 Enari (Utahiroba Jun)

The White Rascals have their own particular style and attitude, and honestly, every time they showed up, they looked like they had stepped out of a music video and directly into a gang war.


🏫 Oya High School

💫 Murayama Yoshiki (Yamada Yuki)

The leader of Oya High, Murayama is exactly the kind of chaotic force you'd expect to come out of a school whose entire reputation seems to be built around fighting.

And this is where High&Low really starts making me question what exactly these schools are teaching.

💫 Furuya Hideto (Suzuki Takayuki)
💫 Seki Kotaro (Ichinose Wataru)
💫 Uematsu Daisuke (Uematsu Daisuke)

The rest of Oya High's crew brings plenty of additional muscle to the chaos.


🏃 The RUDE BOYS

💫 Smoky (Kubota Masataka)

The leader of the RUDE BOYS and, without question, the faction that stole my attention.

The RUDE BOYS live on the streets and are known for their insane parkour skills, and every time they came on screen I was immediately locked in.

The parkour.

I cannot stress this enough.

AMAZING.

💫 Takeshi (Sano Reo)
💫 P (ZEN)
💫 Shion (Nagase Tasuku)

The RUDE BOYS were easily my favorite faction, and honestly, I would have happily watched an entire series that was just them running around doing parkour and looking ridiculously cool.


🔥 Daruma Gurentai

💫 Hyuga Norihisa (Hayashi Kento)

Leader of Daruma Gurentai, Hyuga is driven by revenge and has absolutely no interest in letting old grudges die peacefully.

Because apparently nobody in this town has ever heard of moving on.

💫 Ukyo (Endo Kaname)
💫 Sakyo (Abe Ryohei)
💫 Kato Shu (Ozawa Yuta)

Another faction bringing plenty of violence, attitude, and general “oh, this is going to end badly” energy.


🐺 And Then There Are the Wild Cards

💫 Miura Tatsuomi / Kohaku (Akira)

Kohaku is one of the former members of Mugen and remains one of the major figures connected to the history that led to S.W.O.R.D.

💫 Takamura Tsukumo (Aoyagi Sho)

Another Mugen connection and an important part of the history surrounding the town.

💫 Amamiya Masaki (TAKAHIRO)
💫 Amamiya Hiroto (ØMI)

The Amamiya Brothers.

These two are basically introduced as legendary, brutal, and nearly unbeatable, which is a pretty good way to get my attention.

And then there are the members of the Iemura Group, because apparently we hadn't accumulated enough factions yet.

💫 Iemura Tatsumi (Nakamura Tatsuya)
💫 Kawada (Matsuzawa Kazuyuki)
💫 Ishii (Nishioka Tokuma)
💫 Nikaido (Tachibana Kenchi)
💫 Kirinji (Onozuka Hayato)

Basically, if you thought you had finally figured out all the players, High&Low would like to remind you that you absolutely have not.


📝 Review

(WARNING: Potential Spoilers — I’m Not Saving You from Any Emotional Damage)

Okay, first of all, this show is SUPER EXCELLENT.

There is honestly nothing I can say about it that was wrong for me, and there really wasn't anything I didn't like. I came into this after Weak Hero, looking for action, and High&Low basically said, “Oh, you want action? Let me introduce you to an entire universe of gangs.”

And I was absolutely here for it.

The storyline of S.W.O.R.D. is essentially the introduction to this whole world. We get the history of Mugen, the legendary organization that once ruled the entire city, and what happened after they disbanded. That power vacuum created five factions, each taking over different parts of the city, and those factions became Sanno Rengokai, White Rascals, Oya High, RUDE BOYS, and Daruma Gurentai.

And while all five factions play a major role, the main basis of the story is centered around Sanno Rengokai. We're introduced to their members, their relationships, their history, and how everything begins to spiral into the larger conflict between the different groups.

But I'm going to say it right here and right now:

THE RUDE BOYS WERE MY FAVORITE.

The parkour was AMAZING.

Every single time those guys came on screen, I was immediately paying attention. It was thrilling watching them move through the city, and those sequences gave the show an entirely different kind of action compared to the straight-up fighting. I loved it.

Actually, let's talk about the fight scenes because some of those fights were PURE MAGIC.

I could not take my eyes off the screen. There were moments where I was so invested in what was happening that I waited until I absolutely could not stand it anymore before taking a restroom break. 😂

That's commitment.

But honestly, one of the biggest things that made this show work for me was the fact that every faction had its own identity. They weren't just five groups of guys wearing different clothes and punching each other. Each one had its own personality, aesthetic, fighting style, and place in the overall story, which made the whole thing feel much bigger than a basic gang drama.

And then we have the soundtrack.

OH. MY. GOD.

The soundtrack was phenomenal.

Absolutely PHENOMENAL.

The music was such a huge part of the experience for me. It wasn't just sitting underneath the action; it helped create the atmosphere and made those already-insane scenes hit even harder. There were moments when the music kicked in and I was basically like, Yep. Here we go.

And this is probably a good time to point out something else I appreciated:

There is no romance.

Whatsoever.

Okay, there is some flirting here and there, but actual romance? Nope.

And you know what?

It doesn't need it.

This story doesn't need somebody stopping in the middle of a gang war to have a fifteen-minute conversation about their feelings. 😂 The friendships, loyalty, rivalries, grudges, and relationships between the different factions are more than enough to carry the story.

Honestly, after watching this, I completely understand why High&Low has such a huge franchise around it. This first season feels like an introduction to a much bigger world, and instead of overwhelming me with all of these different groups, it made me want to know more about every single one.

Which is exactly how I ended up continuing the franchise.

Because apparently I have no self-control.

And now I'm watching all of it.


📊 Damage Report

🎭 Story: 10/10 — It does exactly what this first entry needs to do: establish the world, introduce the factions, explain the history, and set up the larger conflict. I loved it.

💫 Acting & Cast: 10/10 — Huge cast, tons of characters, and somehow they all manage to make their respective factions feel distinct. Everyone brings something to the chaos.

🎧 Music: 10/10 — PHENOMENAL. The soundtrack was one of my favorite parts of the entire experience.

🔁 Rewatch Value: 10/10 — Absolutely. The fights, the parkour, the soundtrack, the factions… yes. I'm going back into this universe again.

🏆 Overall: 10/10 — I loved it. I genuinely have nothing bad to say about this one.


💭 Final Mood

I went into High&Low: The Story of S.W.O.R.D. because The Worst popped up after Weak Hero, and somehow that little recommendation sent me down an entire rabbit hole of Japanese gang dramas, movies, factions, pretty men throwing each other through walls, and some of the most ridiculously good action sequences I've watched.

And I regret absolutely nothing.

The RUDE BOYS stole my heart with the parkour, the soundtrack was phenomenal, the fights were fantastic, and the fact that the story doesn't need romance to keep me invested is honestly refreshing. There is enough happening between the friendships, rivalries, loyalty, revenge, and gang politics that adding a romance would almost feel like somebody wandered onto the wrong set.

Out of all the dramas I've watched so far, this entire franchise is one I would recommend people find and watch ASAP.

Would I rewatch it?

YES.

In the end, I finished feeling like I had just discovered an entirely new rabbit hole.

And somehow… it worked.





Post a Comment

0 Comments
Post a Comment (0)
To Top